History of Eartham House
Eartham House, the current home of Great Ballard School, has an interesting history itself. Before becoming the current home of the school, it had many well known and influential owners and visitors many of whom have been inspired in their own particular field by visiting Eartham.
Some of the highlights of the history of Eartham House are as follows:
1344 - The Manor of Eartham was first mentioned in historical records
1775 - Occupied by William Hayley who was a renowned poet (1745-1820). He had many "Academic friends" who visited, often staying for considerable periods and these included:
Southey - poet (1774-1843), Blake - poet, painter, printmaker (1757-1827), Flaxman - sculptor, draughtsman (1755-1826), Romney - portrait painter (1734-1802).
1800 - The house was sold to William Huskisson, Chichester MP, who unfortunately became the first railway casualty being killed by Stephenson's Rocket!
1905 - Sir Edwin Lutyens, (1869-1944), one of Britain's greatest architects, remodelled the house for Sir William Bird.
1961- Eartham House became the home of Great Ballard School.